Sunday, May 27, 2007

We are go for Phase II...

Yesterday we moved into Phase II of our IVF journey. I am beginning to feel like a human experiment on the X-files or something. No medical treatment I have encountered is as structured and different as this one. I have started looking for alien implants on the back of my neck or something. :) "Mulder, the truth is out there..."

Believing that our baby is "out there," our morning started off bright and early with Richard getting out the new medication that comes in the big fat pen. This one is called Gonal-f and it is a stimulator that should rev my follicles into overdrive to produce eggs. I have to take this drug twice a day. This needle is about the same size as the Lupron shots (which I still take so this is a total of 3 injections a day) so it is not too painful. The side effects of this one are much stronger though and have really thrown me for a loop this weekend. I have expected the mood swings and "PMS" type symptoms, but it has also affected my respiratory system. I have symptoms of the flu, stomach pain, and difficulty breathing due to congestion and chest tightness. All are known side effects of the medications. I am sure my symptoms have been exhasberated by the fact that I already have sinus and allergy issues. Yesterday was pretty rough...slept alot and used a lot of kleenex. I am hoping that my body will adjust a bit more to it as the days go by, it will be difficult feeling like this for 10 days. Today, I feel about the same...headache, congestion, fatigue, just blah...

I am makng the best of it by watching some movies, doing some knitting, and relaxing around the house and surfing the net. I did get out and walk a bit today as well as went fishing yesterday...something not too strenuous...

Phase II was not only the start of the new injection, but also an added antibiotic for both Richard and me to take twice a day. At least I am not the only one taking the meds...

Prayer Focus: development of follicles and for relief from drug side effects

No comments: